Monday, July 11, 2011

Rustic Canyon

Alas, I have stumbled across a restaurant where my review will be a bit harsh.  Rustic Canyon located on 1119 Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica is not worth your time or money.  In one aspect, Rustic Canyon promotes the use of seasonal food and sustainable agriculture.  Although the dishes represent ideas that I believe in, I cannot justify a portion of gnochhi that is comparable to a can of cat food for $16.00.  In addition, the below-par burger was $18.00!!!  (Highly suggest Steingarten or The Counter instead).  For dessert, I ordered a caramel sundae for $10.00 that consisted of caramel ice cream, nuts and chocolate syrup.  Last time I checked, I could get the same melange of sweets at Yogurtland for $4.00.  I completely understand that sustainable food is more expensive; however, these dishes do not reflect the charged prices.  Many restaurants in the neighborhood, such as Fraiche and Primi Al Mercato, charge reasonable prices for market fresh food and one of a kind dishes. As a connoisseur of good food at affordable prices, Rustic Canyon is at the bottom of my list.

Riccota Gnocchi ($16.00)
pesto genovese, parmaggiano-reggiano




Rustic Canyon Burger ($18.00)
sharp cheddar, onion fondue, housemade pickles, herb remoulade, hand-cut french fries





No comments:

Post a Comment