Monday, January 7, 2013

JiRaffe

One of the aspects that bothers me most about French restaurants is the fact that because its European, that somehow justifies charging American food goers sky high prices.  While I'm willing to pay more for farm fresh and innovative cuisine, I find it insulting that pretentious restaurants such as JiRaffe charge exuberant prices for their food.  The truth of the matter is the food was excellent...but does that warrant breaking the bank?

Roasted Pear Salad ($15)

My evening began with a sampling of a roasted pear salad and onion soup (not pictured here).  The salad was constructed with organic red and green leaf lettuces, hazelnuts, fourme d’ambert cheese and sherry hazelnut vinaigrette. I found the salad to be a tad  salty; however, it was very exquisite appetizer.  If the restaurant decreased the price to $10, I would order it again.

Angus Filet of Beef ($32)

For the main course, my partner enjoyed a steak topped with a cinnamon nutmeg butter, sauteed baby spinach, crispy pancetta, red flame grapes and madeira beef jus.  Again, it was delicious, but it did not measure to a top notch steak like Morton's or Ruth Chris. Charging $27 for this filet would have been much more appropriate.

Almond-Crusted Rainbow Trout ($26)

I savored an almond-crusted rainbow trout with sweet white corn, roasted red peppers, spinach, roasted cremini mushrooms, capers, and lemon-brown butter sauce.  I felt that this was the best dish we ate during our dinner given its taste, presentation and creativity.  I would order this dish again for $22.

Chocolate Truffle Cake ($10)

The most appropriately priced dish was the chocolate truffle cake with vanilla bean ice cream and chocolate raspberry sauce.  The Eiffel tower wafer was an elegant touch to this savory morsel.

I would love to dine in this intimate restaurant again, but until I see the prices decrease, I will save my money for proper steakhouses.  For an average of $58 per person, I would suggest you do the same.

2 comments:

  1. That is not really French food. It more like American food with a name tag of a French restaurant. It is quite expensive though. I suggest you go to La Madeline. If they have one in Los Angeles. It is a little bit Americanized but you can have a taste of French cuisine there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, Gloria. Its definitely overpriced French American food. I would love to try La Madeline one day! Let me know if you have any suggestions in the LA area! Especially African food...I have little experience in that area!

    ReplyDelete