Saturday, February 2, 2013

Upstairs 2

Alas.  After waiting several months to try this well reviewed restaurant, I got my chance last night. Why is the restaurant so popular you ask? Upstairs 2 does not your average menu organized by appetizer, main course and dessert.  Staying close to its origins of The Wine House, Upstairs 2 has modeled its menu according to wine varietals.  For example, if you're in the mood for a medium bodied Chardonnay, the chef suggests that you pair that with a fig and goat cheese flat bread.  The point is not to order randomly; rather, it's about pairing the right wine notes with complementary flavors.    

Rather than stick to the DineLA menu, my partner and I tasted several dishes from the menu [paired with several glasses of 2.5 ounce portions of wine].


Portabello Mushroom Ravioli ($6.00)
Wild Mushroom Parmesan Broth

Our culinary journey began with a Portabello Mushroom Ravioli. I found the dish to be quite tasty; however, it was very reminiscent of the Trader Joe's frozen dinner. That may sound disconcerting, but rest assured, both are very yummy. This was paired with a rich oak and butter 2010 Luli Chardonnay "Santa Lucia" (CA). The wine was so pleasing, I had to order another!

Roast Duck Salad ($13.00)
Summer Greens, Candied Walnuts, Quince Vinaigrette


Our second appetizer was the roasted duck salad.  I prefer more crisp to a fat rendered duck breast, but overall, the salad was a sweet and savory delight.  The quince vinaigrette was a wonderful accompaniment to the dish, which would have been further enjoyed with bits of cheese.  I found the presentation to be a bit sloppy, especially considering the dish cost $13, but in all honesty I look forward to eating it again in the not so distant future.

Grilled Bison Hangar Steak ($17.00)
Yukon Smashed Potatoes, Red Wine Sauce


Perhaps the star of the night was the hangar steak.  I might have been a bit drunk at this point, but let me tell you, the red wine sauce went perfectly with my 2010 Standing Sun Grenache (CA).  I found the steak to be succulent and rich with flavor, which paired well with a slightly blander side dish of potatoes.  I urge you to order this!!!

Boneless Beef Short Ribs ($16.00)
Roasted Barley, Portobello Mushrooms, Asparagus, Espanole Sauce

Not as spectacular as the steak was the beef short ribs.  I found them to be flirting with dryness, and in need of a succulent sauce.  To my surprise, my partner and I found the roasted barley to be the best part of this dish.  With some improvements, I think the short rib would be just as good as the hanger steak.

Bittersweet Molten Chocolate Cake ($6.00)
Vanilla Bean Gelato


As if we hadn't eaten enough, my partner ordered the molten chocolate cake for dessert.  Considering this is my favorite dessert to order when I eat out, I was taken a back when I tasted this bittersweet morsel.  I'm not sure which aspect of the cake is displeasing, but perhaps it would be better with a different type of chocolate.

Marcona Almond Pie ($6.00)
Spanish Sherry Glaze, Chantilly Cream


Last but not least, the marcona almond pie was without a doubt one of the best desserts I have ever had in Los Angeles.  Think of it as pecan pie's better tasting sister.  It was sweet, crunchy and creamy - a fantastic way to savor hundreds of calories.

After waiting for months to try Upstairs 2, I finally know what all the hype is about.  I enjoyed every dish and wine I tasted, some more than others.  Think about dining at Upstairs 2 for your next night out with a hot date.  

No comments:

Post a Comment